Seals, so ungainly on land, are transformed into the most graceful creatures once they enter the water. Their large, intelligent eyes follow the divers as they swim playfully amongst them, blowing bubbles and moving in for a closer look – this is a once in a lifetime diving encounter!
The Seal Colony is found on the Robberg Peninsula and is only a 10-minute boat ride from the dive centre. It is a shallow dive (4-6m) and is suitable for all divers.
Not qualified? Join us for a PADI Discover Scuba Diving course, which includes a lecture, pool session & seal dive (only takes one day)!
Is it Safe?
The seals are friendly and inquisitive, however as with any animal – if provoked or harassed, they would be capable of causing harm.
Seal Dive Facts:
- Depth – 4-6 meters
- Boat Dive
- Minimum Qualification – Open Water
- Best time: All Year Around
Get to know the Cape Fur Seal:
- Cape Fur Seals can dive to depths of 200m & hold their breath for up to 7.5 minutes.
- Males can get up to 2,5m in length and can grow up to 200-350kg in size. The females are much smaller reaching a maximum weight 1.6m in length and grow up to 120 kg in weight.
- Their diet includes bony fish, squid, octopus and rays.
- During the mating season the male stays on land for up to 6 weeks protecting his harem, which can be up to 66 females.
- When sleeping underwater, the Cape Fur Seal stays afloat by paddling with one foreflipper and rests different parts of their brain at different times, keeping one eye open to watch predators.
is our official booking platform
Other Dive Sites in Plett
- Shore Dives
- Boat Dives